Thursday 2 April 2015

Chocolate Biscotti

I enjoy reading the fantastic food related blog of David Lebovitz. His mixture of recipes, travelogue and reviews of Paris eateries and delis is always entertaining. This chocolate biscotti recipe is based on on of his recipes.

I have been making these for several months now with a few tweaks along the way too suit my tastes. These are perfect with coffee and keep for upto 4 weeks in an air tight container. I keep mine in the kitchen with the crackers and biscuits.



I may be a bit 'OCD' but I always like to get all the ingredients out on the kitchen table prior to starting. Many a bake has been delayed for a quick trip to the shops for something I thought I had but..... well I'm sure you've been there as well!!


  • 240g flour
  • 75g cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
  • 3 free range large eggs
  • 180g sugar
  • 1tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 120g almonds; blanched, roasted and coarsely chopped
  • 120g dark cooking chocolate (80g 56% and 40g 70%)

The amount of 70% dark chocolate you use depends upon how bitter you want the biscotti to taste. I find using about a third of 70% gives a more complex flavour without the bitter taste. I use Green and Blacks for the 70% and LIDL Fin Carre for 52%.








Blanch almonds by adding boiling water for one minute. Rinse in cold water and skins come off very easily.

Roast almonds at 180C for 8-10 minutes.

Coarsely chop the almonds and chocolate. I put the chocolate in fridge prior to use as it is easier to use.

In a small bowl sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.

In a larger bowl beat the 3 eggs, sugar, and extracts. Add dry mixture from smaller bowl and mix with spatula or similar. As the mix comes together add the chopped almonds and chocolate. The final mix should be on the dry side although this is dependant upon size of eggs.

Divide mixture into 2 and shape into logs.  Place on parchment lined baking tray. Gently flatten tops of logs.

Bake for 25 minutes.

Remove from oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes.

Move logs onto cutting board and use serrated knife to diagonally cut 1/2 inch wide slices.

You should get between 30-37 slices.

Put slices on baking tray and return to oven for 20-30 minutes. Turn the biscotti over half way through so each side is baked.  I tend to use 24 minutes for a slightly soft texture and 26 for more of a crunch.

Remove from tray to cooling rack.



Always great with espresso or coffee of your choice. Enjoy!






1 comment: